Monday, September 1, 2014

3 Reasons Why I Joined the Blogosphere

I have a love/hate thing going on with social media. Most of the time, it's hate, with a secret addiction to all things facebooktwitterpinterestblogs, a little buzzfeedinstragramtumblergoogle+ and recently, snapchat (thanks, niece).

I'm so hip.  Can I even say "hip?"

I tend to overuse these information-sharing platforms for a while, notice it, grow resentful for their prominence, fast from them, miss them, and then make up, promising to use and not abuse.  
Then the cycle begins again.

Because of this, I have put off starting this blog for years. Years. But big changes have come to my household, in the form of ILANDEDMYDREAMJOB. 

Great hours (from 6am to 8pm, with overtime available at night)
Great pay (room and board)
Use of my Bachelor's degree
A very attractive superior admin. 
Fun co-workers

Yep, I'm a stay-at-home-mom. A housewife. A bon-bon eating, pajama wearing, "you missed a spot over there, maid" mama of two littles. The SAHM life isn't for everyone, but it's the right choice for my family. I was dreaming about this season while filling out college applications in 2000 something. I'm here (home) and lovin' it.

Implied Reader Question: "What does social media have to do with you being a SAHM?"

Good question, implied reader. Along with being a social media hater and SAHM, I am also a teacher by trade who loves deadlines, getting up early to go to school/work, reading for fun, and instructing tiny humans. Enter: my sweet new blog.

Let's get a little more specific. Here are

3 Reasons Why I Joined the Blogosphere:

Act I, Scene I: Freshman year of college, Comp I.
Characters: 18 year old me, my friend Micah, my friend Jack, Dr. *******, and various others.
This class was basically to clean up your writing to get you ready for the rest of your college career. I had never had any trouble with writing and had taken AP classes in HS blah blah blah. That was 6+ years ago. Back to the story. One day after class, the prof called me to her desk. We had just gotten papers back, so I assumed it was about that.  I was right.

Prof: B, where did you go to high school?
Me: BHS *mumble mumble, shy 18 yo*
Prof: I was just asking because you're a really good writer.

HOLYWOW. This woman had a PhD, and she thought I was a good writer. My 18 yo self clung to that complement for a while forever.

Fast forward to 2014.  This memory gives me a semblance of confidence that I will be semi-successful at this blogging mess. What is successful blogging anyway?

I have a passion for learning. My biggest, tallest soap box is the public school system in the US. I get a rush of excitement when entering a library (allthesebooksarefree). I started planning for homeschool when my biggest little was in utero.

But right now, I'm not working outside my home and my littles are too little for formal education beyond "what does the cow say?"  Last Thursday marked six months of being home full-time, and my brain is feeling a little mushy. I feel like writing on a regular basis will beef my brain back up, help me set some beloved deadlines, and allow me to have a creative outlet in between episodes of Little Bill and Daniel Tiger.

I love reading old twitter and facebook posts and scrolling through the camera roll on my phone, looking back at where I've been. My blog will be a more organized and efficient way to chronicle my mundane, lovely life.



Even if I'm boring, even if I only post once a month, even if I only have one reader (I know I'll have at least that; MisterKidd is my biggest fan), I'll write knowing that I'm fulfilling these three reasons.

Welcome to Beautiful Functional.


Brianna








No comments:

Post a Comment